Headliner/Wall Replacement + Blinds
4/28/2002First two pics are the "after"
followed by the "before" with description
First things first, got to get rid of the failing
Remove and paint plastic components... no more
yellow! The original light
cream had yellowed almost to a light brown.
Removal Time: 4 hours, including cabinets and
Painting Time: 6 hours including trip to NAPA
for paint, cleaning up my barn.
Installation Time: Don't know yet
Cost: FRP Panels + Insulation $225, Paint $31.
Here are the old cardboard headliners with the fabric protecting
the cabinets from over spray.
The newly painted cap, tail corners and bows. No more yellow!
Rear cap and flat tail.
The little pieces. I ran out of patience trying to get
those lights disconnected so snipped the wires and will re-solder them later.
The new headliner. Decided on a FRP panel. Fiberglass textured
panels 1/8" thick and flexible enough to make the bends. Available
at Lowes/Home Depot for about $25 a sheet. Two rolls of reflective foil
insulation just for good measure, $40/roll. Sorry about the picture... they
are just laying inside my truck bed.
Trace the old cardboard headliner
Used a black Sharpie marker. If you get "outside the lines"
it can be cleaned with Acetone.
Tried a die grinder but was uncontrolable. I ended up getting
a roto-zip style cutter and using a drywall bit.
The finished peice... and a tired soccer player.
Here is the headliner installed. Notice the all-thread rod cut
to hang the cabinets temporarily. I also glued the foil/bubble wrap style
insulation to the FRP panels before putting them up. It made a dramatic
improvement in the temp control of the coach. It was noticable even with
just a few of the panels in place.
Here is a closeup of the all-thread. I cut about 3-4 inch peices
with a hacksaw then rounded the ends with a bench grinder. Should make hanging
the cabinets much easier. After I hang the cabinets on these, I will remove
them one at a time and replace with the bolt.